Call for Proposals
The Annual Conference
“Manifestations of Jerusalem in Literature, History, Religion, and Politics”
Tuesday, 21st March 2023
Jerusalem occupies a prominent place in Arabic and Islamic thought and culture being accorded highest priority by numerous and various thinkers and writers. Such prioritization has not been limited only to Arab intellectuals, but rather, has been advocated by foreign and international scholars, historians, and authors at different periods of time. Drawing on Jerusalem’s great significance and considerable status in various contexts, the Deanship of the Faculty of Humanities at Al Qasemi Academic College and AL- Quds University will be hosting the annual conference centering around “Manifestations of Jerusalem in Literature, History, Religion and Politics“. The thematic axes will be discoursed and debated considering the above-mentioned milieus in three languages. We invite researchers in the field to submit proposals for presentations addressing any of the topics listed below:
Topics themes may include but are not limited to:
- The Reasons for Sanctifying the Place in General, and Jerusalem in Particular.
- The Status of Jerusalem in Islamic Faith / in other Religions.
- Jerusalem in the Journeys of Andalusian Travelers / Eastern Travelers.
- Jerusalem in Ancient and Modern Arabic Literature / in Foreign Literature.
- Literature of Jerusalem Virtues.
- Sufi Orders in Jerusalem.
- The Covenant of Khalif Omar to the residents of the city of Jerusalem (638).
- Jerusalem at the Time of the Roman Occupation Occupation/ the Ayyubids/the Turkish and Circassian State/ the Ottoman Empire/ the British Occupation.
- Higher Education in Jerusalem / Private Education in Jerusalem/ The Status of Jerusalem in the Educational Curricula.
- Ancient Architecture and Monumental Construction in Jerusalem (Shrines, Tombs, Caves, Tunnels, Souks and Bazaars/Hammams/ Quarters /Schools/ Libraries/Hospitals).
- The Theater in Jerusalem
- Awqaf in Jerusalem
- Proposal abstracts should be no more than 250 words and may be submitted in Arabic, Hebrew, or English, no later than 15.01.2023.
- Responses of accepted proposals will be sent out no later than 15.2.2023.
- The conference will be held on 21.03.2023.
Following the conference, the steering committee will review all relevant material qualified to be published in the conference proceedings or in the Al Majma’ Journal.
Correspondence: Emails are to be sent to Mrs. Hoda khalaf mansor, the administrative coordinator of the faculty: firstname.lastname@example.org , or to Professor Yaseen Kittani, Dean of the Faculty of Humanities: email@example.com, or to Prof. Mashhour Al-Habbazi, Dean of the Faculty of Arts (Al-Quds University): firstname.lastname@example.org , or to any member of the Steering Committee.
The Steering Committee
Dr. Fayyad Haibi; Head of Al-Qasemi Majma’, The Arabic Language Academy. (Al-Qasemi Academic College) email@example.com
Dr. Banan Salah El Din; Head of the Department of Arabic Language and Literature. (Al-Quds University) firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Samir Kittani; Head of the Department of Arabic Language and Literature. (Al-Qasemi Academic College) email@example.com
Dr. Wisam A. Chaleila; Head of the Department of English Language and Literature. (Al-Qasemi Academic College) firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Jamal Nafi’. Head of the Department of English Language and Literature. (Al-Quds University) email@example.com
Dr. Abdallah Tarabieh: Head of the Department of Hebrew Language and Literature. (Al-Qasemi Academic College) firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Awny Massarwh. Head of the Department of Islamic Studies. (Al-Qasemi Academic College) email@example.com
Dr. Mutasem Alnaser. Head of the Department of History. (Al-Quds University) firstname.lastname@example.org