The Dual Study-Industrial Engineering (DSIE) program offers the student both theory and practice at the same time.
The Dual Study-Industrial Engineering (DSIE) program offers the student both theory and practice at the same time. During 4 years of study, the student spends half of her/his time in partner companies that are interested in employing industrial engineers. Dual Studies is the first educational system not only in Palestine but also in the whole region, which contains cooperation with the private sector through offering the students theory and practice at the same time. Currently, more than 30 companies from north, central as well as from the south of Palestine are official partners of DSIE. The curriculum of DSIE was jointly developed with the private sector during a workshop. This new form of university studies decreases the gap between university and private sector. According to statements of the company’s owners, DSIE graduates have definitely a greater chance to continue their employment in the partner company where they have completed their practical periods. Here, they will not only learn engineering issues but also soft skills and customers’ relations.
Industrial Engineering is the engineering topic that qualifies multifunctional engineers who are capable to handle mechanical (40% of the curriculum), electrical (40% of the curriculum), and basic management tasks (20% of the curriculum). These three topics are necessary for any industrial facility, which means a wider space for employment.
The DSIE program is composed by strong engineering elements with basics in business and management.
Therefore, an industrial engineer should be capable to understand and to work professionally in the following main areas :
- Mechanical applications and related mechanical applications.(Mechanical Drawing, Statics, Dynamics, Hydraulics, Thermodynamics, Mechanical Machine Design, Maintenance…etc.)
- Electrical systems and related electrical control systems(Basics of electrical and electronic systems, Electrical Motors & Generators, Control systems,…etc.).
- Basics in business and management practices(Production & Operation Management, Accounting and Cost Accounting, Sales & Marketing etc.).Industrial Engineers have good opportunities in employment in the following main areas:
- Operational management.
- Production management.
- Procurement and supply chain management.
- Warehouse management.
- Quality Control & Quality Assurance.
- Project management.
- Research and Development.
The mission of the DSIE program is the preparation of a distinct experienced generation of graduates through cooperation with the private sector. They are characterized not only as creators and as innovators in their specialization field, but also capable to prove themselves as unique engineers in a world of accelerated progress of technology and economics. They will be equipped with the necessary knowledge and appropriate skills for a decent place in the world of leadership of excellence and business, as well as to enable them to take the wheel of evolution, and to continue the march of advancement and prosperity in Palestine.
Nowadays, Industrial Engineering concepts are widely applied in modern industry and their corresponding applications and practices. Almost all of the industrial operations use mechanical, electrical, and/or managerial systems. This mix of mechanical, electrical, and managerial skills became necessary especially in small-to-medium business (SMEs) that forms more than 95% of the Palestinian economy. SMEs don’t have the capacity to employ full time mechanical, electrical, or production management engineers due to the partial need of each of those skills. This opens the door for a new multifunctional engineer; the Industrial Engineer to fit the need of those three partial skills at once.
Besides collecting the above-mentioned skills together, DSIE allows IE students to practice real life applications in partner companies where the latest technologies and practices exist. DSIE is a perfect solution to satisfy the current and the future market needs in terms of multifunctional professionals needed for the industrial sector.
The educational objectives of the DSIE program are centered on the graduation of qualified engineers with solid foundations in the areas of mechanical applications, electrical applications, and management, who are characterized by the following characteristics :
- The ability and creativity in solving problems, and dealing and coping with the pace of modern technologies in the different areas of Industrial Engineering.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the design, analysis, improvement and implementation of modern industrial systems.
- Compete effectively in a world of rapid technological changes, and to become leaders, businesspersons and managers innovators or teachers in a broad context of Industrial Engineering.
- Work effectively in a professional environment, and show the necessary communication skills, leadership, and commitment to professional ethics.
- Pursue post-graduate studies and research in the disciplines of advanced topics and Industrial Engineering, as well as to become consultants in their respective fields.
- Work professionally bolstered by a technical background and solid scientific and adequate skills in the field of Industrial Engineering.
- Adapt to different roles and responsibilities in a multicultural work environment through respect for diversity and professional within the organization and society at the national and international levels.
Dual Study Industrial Engineering students will be educated and trained in mechanical, electrical, and managerial practices. This dual study program will enable students to know :
- Mechanical applications such as mechanical systems, machine design, maintenance, hydraulics & thermodynamics, and lathing & milling…etc.
- Electrical applications such as electric circuits, basic electronics, and electric motors & generators…etc.
- Management practices such as planning, production & shop floor management, quality management, inventory management, and management information systems…etc.
The ILO’s of the Industrial Engineering dual study program adhere to international accreditations (based on ABET). Thus, by the end of this program, the students should be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- Design and conduct experiments, to analyze and interpret data.
- Design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs.
- Function on multidisciplinary teams.
- Identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- Recognize of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context.
- Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- An ability to transfer theoretical knowledge into practical applications.
- A knowledge of the professional environment.
- Participate in social competences.
The conditions announced by the Admission Department before each new academic year.
The industrial engineer has many fields of work because of the excellence of the industrial engineering program. The industrial engineer can work in various factories as a manufacturing engineer, quality engineer, process engineer, maintenance engineer, production engineer, project engineer, cost engineer, information systems engineer, project engineer, safety engineer. In addition to this, the industrial engineer can work in educational institutions, ministries and municipalities. Finally, the industrial engineer can get opportunities to work in banks, telecommunications companies, and various factories.