Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
The Dual Study-Electrical Engineering (DSEE) program offers the student both theory and practice at the same time. During 4 years of study, the student spends half of her/his time in partner companies that are interested in employing electrical engineers. Dual Studies is the first educational system not only in Palestine but also in the whole region, which contains cooperation with the private sector through offering the students theory and practice at the same time. Currently, more than 100 companies from north, central as well as from the south of Palestine are official partners of DSIE. The curriculum of DSEE was jointly developed with the private sector during workshops. This new form of university studies decreases the gap between university and private sector.
According to statements of the company’s owners, DSIE graduates have definitely a greater chance to continue their employment in the partner company where they have completed their practical periods. Here, they will not only learn engineering issues but also soft skills and customers’ relations.
Electrical Engineering is the engineering topic that qualifies engineers to work in a vibrant sector which is the energy sector, which is vital for the public sector, the industry, the commerce, the services, education, health, agriculture, and households.
Electrical Engineers have good opportunities in employment in the following main areas :
- Electricity companies.
- Clean energy.
- Research and Development.
This is a Dual Studies program, and therefore the academic year is divided into two equal semesters of 24 weeks each, and each semester is divided into two equal parts of 12 weeks each, the theoretical part implemented on University campus, and the practical part implemented in the partner company. This is an intensive program compared to the normal university tracks.
The educational objectives of the Dual Studies Electrical Engineering (DSEE) program are centered on the graduation of qualified engineers with solid foundations in the areas of electrical engineering, who are characterized by the following characteristics :
- The ability and creativity in solving problems, and dealing and coping with the pace of modern technologies in the different areas of electrical engineering.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the design, analysis, improvement and implementation of modern electrical systems.
- Compete effectively in a world of rapid technological changes, and to become leaders, businesspersons and managers innovators or teachers in a broad context of electrical engineering.
- Work effectively in a professional environment, and show the necessary communication skills, leadership, and commitment to professional ethics.
- Pursue post-graduate studies and research in the disciplines of advanced topics and electrical engineering, as well as to become consultants in their respective fields.
- Work professionally bolstered by a technical background and solid scientific and adequate skills in the field of electrical engineering, and the ability not only to design electrical power systems, but also to deal with all types of electrical systems and problems.
- Adapt to different roles and responsibilities in a multicultural work environment through respect for diversity and professional within the organization and society at the national and international levels.
In the practical phases, students link their acquired knowledge from the theory phase with the practical activity in their company.
According to a planning drawn up by the company, a “practice plan” is set up.
It has to be regarded that not for each theory module will be an equivalent activity in the company, i.e., courses and work in a company has not to fit 1:1.
This is obvious for example in mathematics but also in other subjects.
Students will be educated and trained in the electric power engineering. The dual study Electrical Engineering program will enable students to know: How do electric utilities provide power; What equipment is necessary to generate, transmit and distribute electric power; How does the electric power industry improve reliability, security and safety of the electric power grid. The ILO’s of the Electrical Engineering dual study program adhere to international accreditations (based on ABET). Thus, upon completion of this program, students will have :
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs.
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context.
- Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- An ability to transfer theoretical knowledge into practical applications.
- A knowledge of the professional environment.
- Well-developed social competences.
The following non-academic qualifications and learning outcomes are learned and deepened throughout the practical periods in companies :
- Communication and cooperation skills, in addition to teamwork
- Problem-solving ability and creativity
- Reporting and documentation creation
- Learning, working and presentation techniques
The practical period is designed not only for deepening the professional experience but in addition also for developing the important broad spectrum of non-professional soft qualifications and competences.
The conditions announced by the Admission Department before each new academic year.
Electronic engineering graduates work in several fields, including:
- Electronic circuit design companies.
- Installing, operating and maintaining production lines in factories.
- Factories of construction, food & materials industries such as metals, aluminum, plastics and paper industries.
- Electricity distribution companies and private sector companies.
- Design, installation and extension of networks.
- Integrated logic circuit construction companies and chip design.
- Electrical equipment inspection and maintenance centers.
- Land-line & cellular communications companies, in Palestine & neighboring countries.
- Radio and TV broadcasting stations.
- University laboratories, study and research centers, postgraduate studies.
- Importing and marketing control systems and software.
- Hospitals, in the field of installing and maintaining medical devices.
- Installation of elevator systems, monitoring and security systems.
- Starting a special project in the field of electronic engineering.