Graduated with a Ph.D. (Dr. rer. nat), Humboldt University, Institute of Biology. Berlin, Germany in Molecular Biology with magna cum laude. , Advisor: Professor Dr Richard Lecius. And the ThesisTitle: Molecular systematics and population structure of the Leishmania major vector Phlebotomus papatasi (Diptera: Psychodidae).
Master degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from Al-Quds University in 2000.
He joined Al-Quds University in 2007 as faculty at the Department of Biology.
Working in the field of infectious diseases is extremely important and considered a research priority, I work with colleagues in the Arab countries, especially Libya, Syria, Yemen and Sudan. My research since more than ten years ago was concentrated in the following fields:
• Epidemiology and diagnosis of Leishmaniasis disease in Palestine and the Arab countries
• Molecular biology and population genetic analysis of vectors of infectious diseases, principally vectors of Leishmaniasis using genetic markers (microsatellites, mtDNA and ITS).
• Spatiotemporal and molecular epidemiology analysis of cutaneous leishmaniasis in the Mediterranean.
• Epidemiology of Scabies disease in Palestine
• HIV research in Palestine
• Anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic activity of extracts from Palestinian medicinal plants.
Selected publications: 2020-2021
1. Chebbah, D.; Elissa, N.; Sereno, D.; Hamarsheh, O.; Marteau, A.; Jan, J.; Izri, A.; Akhoundi, M. Bed Bugs (Hemiptera: Cimicidae) Population Diversity and First Record of Cimex hemipterus in Paris. Insects 2021, 12, doi:10.3390/insects12070578.
2. Amro, A, Mansoor, B, Hamarsheh, O and Hjaija, D. 2021. Recent trends in human brucellosis in the West Bank, Palestine. Int J Infect Dis 106,308-313.
3. Omar Hamarsheh. (2021). Epidemiology of Enterobiasis in Palestine, Al-Quds Journal for Academic Research. 1: 63-67
4. Souad Guernaoui, O Hamarsheh, D Garcia, D Fontenille, D Sereno. 2020. Population Genetics of Phlebotomus papatasi from Endemic and Nonendemic Areas for Zoonotic Cutaneous Leishmaniasis in Morocco, as Revealed by Cytochrome Oxidase Gene Subunit I. Microorganisms 8 (7), 1010
5. Omar Hamarsheh and Ahmad Amro. 2020. Epidemiology of parasitic infections in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, Palestine. The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene 102 (2), 313-317
View all Omar Hamarsheh Publications