Master's Degree in Intellectual Property
The specific objectives of the program are:
- Enhancing the legal, economic and technical training of students, so that they may adapt to the real needs of companies, firms and organizations working in the field of intellectual property, specifically in the new market environment.
- Enabling students to build an understanding for the frameworks of innovation process management. More specifically, students will have the ability to identify the sources of innovation, mechanisms of benefiting from innovation opportunities as well as the organizational and strategic challenges in innovation management.
- Learning and receiving training from top professionals in the field of intellectual property on the theoretical content and practical application of sections of the program with regard to the complex and conflicting reality of the sector.
- Providing the market with attorneys and professionals who are able to address the problems of different innovations and IP-related issues and to provide appropriate and effective solutions for these issues.
- Introducing students to modern tools and modern laws of IP
- Conducting local studies and projects on the innovation and IP management
- Encouraging scientific competencies to keep pace with the rapid progress of legal and technical sciences and to push them towards creativity, innovation and the development of scientific research and guidance to address community issues.
Graduates of this program should be able to perform the followings:
- Providing deep knowledge in solving Intellectual property disputes, whether as consultants, attorneys or arbitrators and mediators.
- Developing the skills needed to provide legal assistance in making laws and regulations relative to intellectual property.
- Providing the necessary skills to take strategic and leadership roles and levering and managing intellectual property through marketing, research, development, legal protection and business transactions.
- Identifying challenges and opportunities in Intellectual Property that will guide in counseling and collaborating with clients and other professionals regarding innovation management and its related business strategies.
- Demonstrating an understanding of key concepts relating to the generation of inventions and innovations.
- Benefiting from innovation through protection of IP and technology/knowledge exploitation strategies.
- Utilizing local studies and analysis of the existing innovation management systems and IP issues in Palestine.
Intended learning outcomes (ILOs)
Graduate of this Master’s degree program will be well prepared for a broad range of positions and careers. IPIM graduates have at their graduation the sufficient academic and in particular legal skills and skills in patent drafting to successfully compete for positions and participate in an international legal work environment in positions at:
- Law firms specialized in IP law;
- Research institutes and technology transfer offices;
- International economic institutions, such as the World Trade Organizations (WTO) and World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO);
- National and international NGOs.
- IP Department at the Palestinian Ministry of National Economy.
- Local ICT, Pharmaceutical and Food Industries.
- International and national patent offices or trademark offices; and
- Industry associations and (trans) national innovative corporations.
The IPIM is therefore a highly specialized, selective and small-scale program in intellectual property law and innovation management, whose graduates are very well placed to play a role in positions at the crossroads of legal services, policy and innovation management in relation to technology-driven, innovative and creative industries.