Psychology is the science of mind, brain, and behavior. The establishment of the Department of Psychology2007/2008 came to develop a bachelor’s program in psychology to serve the community and the individual, where it works on the development of capabilities and skills and understand the things that give meaning to life, and choosing to study psychology is the choice of most of the work and specialization, and the selection in order to discover the facts and awareness, as well as Psychology is the logical way of thinking.
Studying psychology at our department will enable the student to identify the greatest theorists, scientists and specialists in the study of human beings and the conditions experienced by, and will enable the understanding of complex behavior, thinking and feelings, when this human being fails or when succeed. It also raises other issues about the development, education, cognition, physiological psychology, personality, adjustment and other topics.
This program adopts an approach Physiology psychologically, socially and culturally, focuses on the psychological aspects of physiology, social, and cultural rights in handling issues of mental health, and works on cooperation and interaction between these disciplines.
Our objectives are:
- Development theoretical and practical expertise to understand and interpret human behavior according to the theories of psychology
- Ability to conduct studies in the different areas of psychology
- Development of research skills and linking scientific research to the needs of the community in the areas of psychology
- Ability to use different scales, personal and psychological tests
- Contribute to the treatment of mental community issues
- Prepare specialists in psychology in the light of the needs and culture of the Arab Palestinian society.
- Provide students with theoretical and applied scientific skills related to specialization
- Provide students with clinical psychological skills and to provide mental health services for individual and institutional.
- Achieve cooperation at the national and global level with institutions working in the field of psychology
- Introduce students to the history of schools and theories of psychology
- Prepare psychologists qualified to work in the functional areas of psychology in schools, universities, institutes and institutions of special groups, hospitals, mental health and industrial enterprises, to perform various tasks such as guidance and counseling students and vocational guidance, training and career choice and other tasks assigned to psychological specialist.
- Prepare students for specialized graduate studies which provide teaching, research and clinical work and the consultant in schools, universities and institutions of mental health, social and industrial facilities, and others.
- Contribute to the preparation of students who belong to other disciplines and their program includes to study courses in psychology as part of the scientific or professional preparation, like students from education, arts, medicine and medical science.
- Conducting scientific and experimental research in various psychological fields to enrich the psychological knowledge and providing appropriate solutions to behavioral and social problems
- Provide psychological guidance and therapeutic services for students and citizens alike in the fields of psychotherapy and counseling educational and vocational guidance.
At the end of the course the student must acquire knowledge and understanding of:
- Basic necessary sciences to understand the psychological sciences
- Discover how to get the information
- Research methods, investigations and surveys
- Ability to adjustment
- The extent of unrest and problems faced by and the extent of available solutions for the diagnosis and treatment and prevention of the individual.
- Psychological and mental disorders and diseases and their appearance in different ages and patient reactions and the effect of the society and culture
- Mental health principles
- psychological diagnostic tools: clinical interview, case studies, tests and personal objective and projective
- scientific research tools: questionnaires, trends scales, and case history
- psychological therapeutic skills: Psychoanalysis, behavior modification, and cognitive therapy
- General Secondary school certificate (Tawjihi certificate), science stream, or its equivalent, with a minimum average of 70%
Conditions to continue in the program:
- Get a mark of 70% and above in the following courses: Introduction to Psychology (1530132), and the Introduction to sociology (0419101), and Introduction to Human Life Sciences (1530130).
- Personal interview.
- Eligibility for the profession
- Absorptive capacity of the department